Monday 13 August 2012

A morning post - fruit and seed granola


My housemate has been working ridiculously long hours this last week and as soon as she has a bit of a break I will be heading off on holiday for a few days so I thought I'd leave her something tasty :)

We are both very much breakfast people and much as we enjoy our weekend eggs and mushrooms, I thought that preparing this granola would provide a quick and tasty weekday breakfast. I would usually use nuts in this put this time I decided to stick with seeds and used a packet of pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and golden linseeds.

Recipe:
5oz oats
1.5 oz ground almonds
5.5oz mixed seeds/nuts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon crab apple jelly
3 teaspoons light brown sugar
3.5/4oz sultanas

Heat the oven to about 160 C.
Mix together the oats, ground almonds, seeds and sugar in a bowl. Heat the honey, jelly and oil over a low heat and stir together. Allow to cool slightly and then add to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Mix together with with your fingers and to spread it in a large, greased and lined baking tray.

Bake until all the mixture is golden brown. Remove from the oven every 5-10 mins and give the mixture a shake.

Once the granola is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool before adding in the sultanas and it is ready to eat!

I must admit that I could (make that do!) nibble at this all day but it also goes very well with some fresh fruit and yoghurt and you can even make up a jar of it if you're on the move.


No comments:

Post a Comment