Monday 6 August 2012

Bread

As I'm sure you can tell by now, I have a bit of a sweet tooth! However contrary to the story this blog tells, I also love baking bread and it's something I don't do nearly enough. The problem is that it can be a long process and I usually bake in the evenings. It's also not as easy to get rid off - much more socially acceptable to bring cupcakes into the office than a loaf! And as my housemate and I are permenantly on failed diets, fresh bread in the house is far too dangerous!


Being very inexperienced, I have Mr Hollywood to guide me on my way (in book form - unfortunately!). As it's something I really want to do more of, I thought I'd blog about a few recent bakes.




Herb Bread

This was made for my birthday weekend away in West Wales with my family. Knowing there would be plenty of picnics (and a general high food consumption rate!) I decided to bake some bread to take.
I went straight to my Paul Hollywood book and proceeded to spend a good few hours (and even more cups of tea) reading every recipe and making a shortlist of what to bake. Finally my boyfriend persuaded me that the brie filled brioche was not practical and I should keep it simple with the herb bread.




Curried Naan Bread
We have become fans of goat curry and this was made to accompany a late night curry and film session. I used Paul Hollywood's recipe but added a lot more sultanas as I love the sweetness they bring. I will always skip the rice and a good piece of this to soak up a wonderfully slow-cooked curry.




Cheese and Onion Soda Bread
Another Hollywood recipe and a very simple one that went down very well with some salami and coleslaw on a rainy picnic in Hyde Park. I'll definitely be making soda bread again as it doesn't need to rest so is very quick to make. The onions and cheese give it a great flavour, making it a great snack even on it's own.



No comments:

Post a Comment