Wednesday 20 August 2014

Breakfast Oat Pancakes


True to my promise, after a very sweaty and snail-paced run around the park I made little oat pancakes for our breakfast yesterday. This is a recipe I picked up whilst on the Slimming World plan and back in the UK they were a staple breakfast in our flat - diet or not! I realised just as I was about to make them that I don't have any scales or measuring equipment so I had to do it the carefree Jamie Oliver style but it's such a simple recipe that that was not a problem.


Recipe:
Makes plenty of pancakes for two people :) 

60g of porridge oats (I used a mug to judge by eye so it doesn't need to be exact!)

300g yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt)
3 eggs

Stir the oats in the yoghurt and leave to soak overnight. The oats will expand so you want the mixture to be quite loose - add a tablespoon or two of milk if you need. If you use plain yoghurt you might want to add sugar to the mixture. 

In the morning whisk the eggs into the oat mixture. Heat a little bit of butter or oil (I used oil as that's what we had but in the UK I used Frylight) in a non-stick pan. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into a pancake size and shape (although mine a always a questionable array of shapes!) - you can make about three at once in a regular sized pan.

Once the bottom of the pancakes are firm, use a fish slice to flip them over and cook the other side. You want them to be a nice golden brown so make sure the heat isn't up too high.

Continue until you have a delicious mound of pancakes to share!

I topped our pancakes with some tiny fried beans which created a great crunch. They are also lovely with some yoghurt and sliced banana or other fresh fruit. And if you're feeling indulgent why not drizzle maple syrup over your breakfast stack? Go on.....

This recipe really is criminally simple and after enjoying (more than) half of this batch I'm definitely going to start making them regularly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment